Friday, March 9, 2012

Really?

One more post and then off to bed. I'm glad I got the ball rolling on the blogging even though no one is probably even reading it. On to the video.


There really isn't much to say here. It's just so infuriating and almost makes me physically sick. Chanting "USA, USA" is racist? Huh?! Last time I checked Texas was in America. Did it get up and leave? Did I miss that? How in the hell is this racist? Oh because the people chanting it were white? So now only white people are American? Because the other team was mostly Mexican? Are these kids not American? Do they identify and have an allegiance to Mexico? Listen, I don't give a fuck if you're white, purple or black. If you're American, you're American. Don't give me this crap that chanting USA in America is racist. The culture today is becoming scary. You can't say or do anything anymore without someone looking into and pulling out some meaning that isn't even there. And the fact that there are people actually defending the claims that it's racist. It doesn't even make sense. There are no words to capture just how ridiculous this is.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that people are always reaching to accuse others of racism, sexism, etc. It's mind-boggling since we are all "Americans." I think part of the reason is that we still live in a country plagued by racism, sexism, ageism, homophobia, etc. People still carry a lot of hate in their hearts and cover it up by saying they are his or her "family values." And that word is of course associated with conservative, Republican values. And then comes the split. Hate is such a wasteful emotion. It's transparent and undeniable that in 2012, even with a mixed race president, that some Americans have passed that hate on to the younger generations. I hear and see it all the time in my own "privileged" mostly white community. I have heard racial/sexist/anti-gay slurs come out of the mouths of people that you and I personally know. I haven't a clue what negative experiences that these people who are targeting others even if just verbally and even if it's "undercover" (lord knows most wouldn't have the balls to say it to their targets faces), have had with people outside of their race, sexuality, etc. but it's about time that we start seeing each other as just Americans, as you put it. And also stop assuming that those with accents and those of color are here illegally. It really embarrasses me to be in the company of anyone who doesn't respect the basic human rights of everyone else regardless of how different they seem from him or her. And that is my rant. Bottom line - they're here, they're different in one way or another from you, GET OVER IT. No amount of hate is going to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post. Thanks. I agree with the overall message of this post. My biggest beef with this situation is what you alluded to in your opening (I agree with what you said.) People are sooo quick to assume something is racist nowadays. And there seems to be a monopoly on who is entitled to claim racism. As a heterosexual, white, Catholic, I am an acceptable target of discrimination. I'm not saying I've been targeted but there is plenty of stuff said about white people and Catholics specifically, and we never can "rightfully" claim racism or being victims of sterotypes. It's just laughed off. People have different views and 'values" and that'll never change. Until people stop looking at any difference of opinion as automatically being a result of differing race/orientation/religion, etc the world won't change. All people need a change in their views. Meaning, people should not espouse bigotry and those "victims" of "bigotry" should have the wherewithal to think outside the box and not assume that just because someone disagrees it doesnt necessarily mean it's racist/sexist, etc. Both sides need to change in order to have any productive dialogue.

    ReplyDelete